Does the interest for taking out a loan compound?

I’ve been looking around online but I’m still confused: does the APR for loans (personal loans, auto loans, student loans, etc.) compound upon itself? From what I understand, credit card APR compounds, so your interest can basically accrue interest. Are loans different?

Thanks.

Loans would be less standardized and uniform across the board than you would see with a credit card balance. In the US, mortgages have “simple” interest, meaning that you will only be charged interest on the original value of the loan, and not the interest that accumulates. When looking at auto loans, personal loans or student loans, each of them could have this simple interest or compound interest. It is completely dependent on the creditor that you are working with.

That information on interest accumulation is likely going to be available up front to you prior to entering an agreement. If you take out a loan on a car, the details of interest will not be buried in fine print, but likely information that is displayed prominently. If not, then this should be one of the first questions that you should ask the lender, as it will help you understand where you will stand financially for years to come.